Terms and Conditions
Terms and Conditions of Service:
Every reasonable effort is made to provide customers with all information that is relevant to the services and products provided by Emerald Moving & Storage Inc. (hereafter Emerald Moving or the carrier) and its partner companies, however the customer is responsible for informing themselves by reading these terms and conditions of service in full and all other pertinent literature provided by Emerald Moving such as labor rates, surcharges, quotes, move preparation literature, move protection literature, generic emails etc. Indicating that you have read, understood and agree to these terms and conditions of service is required and is done by checking the appropriate box in the site shopping cart on checkout.
- Service is scheduled to begin at the loading location at 9am on packing and unpacking dates, Residential Moving Services are scheduled to begin based on the option selected by the customer.
- Crews are dispatched from the nearest Emerald Moving dispatch depot to the loading location 45 minutes prior to the scheduled start time.
- Where the journey to the loading location takes more than 45 minutes the moving crew will arrive after the scheduled start time by the number of minutes over 45 minutes the journey takes.
- Billing for the outward bound travel time on local moving services is always for 0.75 hours and labor is always deemed to begin at the scheduled start time. This has no effect on your final bill.
- Vehicles are parked in a manner that will facilitate best access to the loading location or the unloading location and parking infraction fines incurred as a result are added to the final move bill.
- Packing Service entails the packing of all items in your residence that require consolidation in containers to be suitable for moving. Packing Service may also include any required furniture disassembly that does not require special skills like carpentry or joinery for example.
- The packing for your move should be 100% complete to the standard indicated in the packing tips sections of this web-site.
- The completion of any outstanding packing or furniture disassembly after a Packing Service is the customer responsibility.
- Emerald Moving reserves the right to refuse to move items that are not prepared as per the stand indicated in our packing tips section.
- Laundry room appliances must be disconnected and drained where necessary prior to the arrival of the moving crew.
- Fridges and freezers must be defrosted prior to the arrival of the moving crew.
- Items mechanically fastened to the building must be unfastened prior to the arrival of the moving crew.
- The moving crew will move your furniture and the packed contents of your residence excluding firearms and ammunition, hazardous items including paints, aerosol cans, explosives, corrosives, propane tanks, liquids and any other items that the moving crew supervisor deems to be a hazard or unsafe for transportation.
- Unpacking Service entails the undirected unpacking and appropriate placing of items packed by an Emerald Moving Packing Crew and the reassembly of all items of furniture dis-assembled by an Emerald Moving Packing Crew.
- It is your responsibility to see to it that Emerald Moving personnel and vehicles have exclusive and unhindered access to your residences during loading and unloading.
- You are required to reserve elevators as required with elevators on service prior to the arrival of the moving crew for loading and unloading.
- It is your responsibility to have your driveway clear or a parking spot available for the moving truck such that the end of the trucks ramp is positioned for best access both at the loading location and the unloading location.
- You should check with your local authority if there are any road works or other events scheduled outside the building you are moving out of or moving into on or around the day of your move, that are likely to hinder or halt the moving crew's efforts.
- A standard work rate adjusted for access of 333lbs loaded and unloaded per man hour is subject to amiable working conditions and compliance with all the terms and conditions herein.
- Down time occurring as a result of delays caused by circumstances outside of the control of the Moving Crew is charged at the same rate as the hourly rate for the service provided.
- Emerald Moving reserves the right to refuse to move items through passages with less than 4 inches clearance all around the passageway and the item in question. In agreeing to these terms and condition of service you are waiving any liability against Emerald Moving for damage that might occur to the passage or the items in question during execution of such maneuvers.
- Snow removal to facilitate your move services is not the responsibility of Emerald Moving and is not included in your quote. Snow removal and application of sand or salt when required must be completed prior to the arrival of the moving crew at the loading location and the unloading location.
- Emerald moving reserves the right to postpone Service and/or waive liability in extreme weather condition.
- Should down time occur such that the truck cannot be completely unloaded by 6pm Emerald Moving reserves the right to discontinue service until a subsequent day and on that subsequent day commence a new contract with normal rates and surcharges. In such instances storage charges may also apply.
- Emerald Moving reserves the right to discontinue service until the next day if the unloading of the truck at the unloading location cannot be completed by 6pm. Additional travel time, fuel surcharge and on truck storage fees apply.
- Unpacking of boxes by the customer can only commence after the moving crew have completed the move.
- The moving environment is hazardous! You should arrange to have children and pets elsewhere while your move is in progress.Only two adults excluding the moving crew should be present at the loading and unloading locations.
- The layout of furniture in each room should be pre-planned and you should be able to direct the moving crew in a prompt manner. You may leave the layout of your furniture to the discretion of our experienced moving crew.
- It is your responsibility to ensure that sanitary conditions prevail at the loading and unloading locations. Emerald Moving reserves the right to withdraw service in the event of a potential health hazard to our staff as a result of unsanitary conditions at the work location.
The outstanding balance for services purchased is due on completion and payable to the crew supervisor.
The outstanding balance can be paid with acceptable credit card, bank draft or money order.
Due to security concerns cash is not an acceptable form of payment.
Labor for services are billed up the time the crew is leaving the premises.
For the purpose of billing inbound travel time is conservatively estimated and rounded up to the nearest ¼ hour increment.
Hourly rate bills are calculated based on ¼ hour increments or part thereof.
A 0.25% charge is applied on flat rate services for each meter the access allowance is exceeded by.
The rates and surcharges and other conditions used for the purpose of billing are those that are in effect at the time the reservation was made.
Emerald Moving provides a bill which fully details all charge.
Bills are subject to auditing by the Emerald Moving accounting department. Invoices are issued for balances due to billing errors in the customer's favor. Likewise, refunds are issued due to billing errors in Emerald Moving's favor.
Emerald Moving reserves the right to require C.O.D. on any shipment prior to unloading the shipment.
Flat Rate Service assumes that no down time will occur during the move service. It is your responsibility to see to it that the moving crew has EXCLUSIVE and UNHINDERED access to your residences during loading and unloading. To this end you are required to reserve elevators as required with ELEVATORS ON SERVICE PRIOR TO THE ARRIVAL OF THE MOVING CREW for loading and unloading. It is your responsibility to have your driveway clear or a parking spot available for the moving truck such that the end of the truck's ramp is positioned for best access both at the loading location and the unloading location.
By-the-Hour Residential Moving Service quotes show the minimum charge for the service only and the charges for any optional or fixed additional items. By-the-hour billing will be for the actual number of hours labor, travel time, fuel, and consumables used during the move.
Cancellation and rescheduling of services.
Cancellation of service less than 10 business days before the scheduled beginning of service will result in a loss of 50% of the deposit. Rescheduling of service less10 business days before the scheduled beginning of service will result in a rescheduling fee for cube van moves
Cancellation or rescheduling of services between 5 to 10 business days before the scheduled beginning of service will result in a loss of 50% of the deposit.
Cancellation of services later than 5 business days before the scheduled beginning of service will result in complete loss of the deposit.
Cancellation of service after the moving crew has been dispatched 45 minutes prior to the scheduled beginning of the service will result in the By-The-Hour minimum charge for the service being billed to the customer.
All carrier liability is waived unless the terms and conditions of service herein are met in full.
All items packed in containers in a shipment are shipped at the owner's risk unless otherwise stated.
All items that do not require packing prior to shipping are shipped by the carrier with liability limited to 60 cents per pound up to 100 pounds per individual item unless otherwise stated.
Liability for incidental damage to property other than the shipment is only available under Replacement Value Protection.
The carrier accepts no liability for incidental damage to common areas whatsoever.
Liability against the carrier is waived where items pass through passages with less than 4 inches clearance all round between the item and the passage.
The carrier accepts no liability for damage when shipping the following materials unless otherwise stated: Fiberboard, glass, marble, fired materials, brittle counter and table top materials, china, consumer electronics, organic matter, plants, paper.
The carrier accepts no liability for damage when shipping the following items unless otherwise stated: Any item made in whole or in part of the materials listed above, flat panel televisions, pedestal lamps, hanging art, statues, prefabricated furniture, mirrors, windows, glass, stone or marble tables of any kind.
The carrier accepts no liability for damage when shipping items that exhibit an inherent vice unless otherwise stated.
The carrier accepts no liability for incidental damage to any item or property caused by damage when shipping any of the materials or items covered under the above category unless otherwise stated.
The carrier accepts no liability for damage to items due to a packing deficiency when the carrier has not provided the packing and unpacking service.
The carrier requires a true declared value on the entire shipment to accept liability for replacement value protection on a shipment.
To accept liability on the entire shipment the carrier must provide the packing service, move service and unpacking service, and all of the material required, including custom-built shipping crates where required.
The carrier reserves the right to refuse to offer move protection on specific items.
Replacement Value Protection is available on all items packed and unpacked by the carrier.
The carrier will provide replacement value protection on all items shipped by the carrier other than those specified above.
The carrier will not accept liability for any individual item beyond a replacement value of $5000.00.
The replacement value of an item is its depreciated value in strictly monetary terms.
Claims are settled by payment of the replacement value or payment for repairs, whichever is the lower of the two.
In the event of damage to a shipment, a formal claim must be made by email.
Claims are only processed subsequent to full payment of the invoices for services and materials and payment of a non-refundable claim administration fee of $200.00
Claims must be made via email to email@example.com no later than 5 business days after the delivery of the shipment.
Replacement Value Protection is not available on moves to or from storage.
It is the claimant’s responsibility to prove damage did not pre-exist the Service provided.
Emerald moving is not responsible for the security of your residence during loading or unloading. Emerald moving is only responsible for the security of your belongings during handing and shipping. You are advised not to leave your residences un-attended will the move is in progress.
Emerald Moving has a zero tolerance policy for verbal abuse or violence to our staff.